Herkie the Dog's World Musings

Friday, July 25, 2003

Holy Promotion! Part Deux

You might remember this entry from a little ways back. And it certainly was fairly big news, but I guess I didn't realize how big until the last couple days.

First of all, we received a copy of the Catholic newspaper, The Florida Catholic. Virtually the whole issue was about Bishop Wenski, from the initial news of his new assignment to retrospectives of his work in Miami and general biographical information. It was kind of similar to something like The Sporting News featuring a whole issue on Michael Jordan when he retired. (Yeah, great...two references to Michael Jordan in this blog. I can't believe it myself. I need to work in some Bill Laimbeer references to make up for it.) Some of the pictures in this paper showed him at a press conference in Miami regarding the announcement, speaking into so many different microphones that you had to wonder how there was no feedback of any sort. And that was after the press conference in Orlando.

Now, a huge ceremony has been planned for his arrival in Orlando by the diocese there and the Catholic community is apparently pretty fired up about it. Lisa's mom (who is officially Bishop Wenski's cousin) has gotten interview requests and is actually supplying some articles and old pictures to the folks down there.

I must admit, I am certainly impressed. And the beauty of it is, when you meet him, you'd have no idea at all of the importance and influence this man has had on the South Florida community and the neighboring countries. You probably would, though, get to hear all about his motorcycle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home