Hi, I'm Jon and I'm a hockey-holic
Today is like Christmas to me.
With 3 games on the schedule, the NHL season opened up, providing the final pieces to complete my hockey obsession this year. I had already started up my own playing season a couple of weeks back, been watching a few preseason games (much better than post season baseball as far as I'm concerned) and had also been preparing for a fantasy hockey league draft at work.
Now the cycle is complete. Okay, a little overdramatic, but now the games are on, the fantasy hockey league is in full swing and I'm playing (and totally sucking) on a weekly basis. Of course, here are my top 5 hockey thoughts for the night:
1. Sergei Fedorov in a Mighty Duck uniform really didn't seem too weird to me.
2. Igor Larionov in a NJ Devil uniform did.
3. UM alumni have made their mark as usual-Marty Turco stoned the Ducks, Jeff Jilson got two goals for the Bruins. Mike Knuble and John Madden played their usual solid games for the Bruins and Devils, respectively.
4. I never understood why the Colorado Avalanche retired Ray Bourque's number. He played one and a half seasons with them over a 21 season career. Sure he won a Cup finally with the Avalanche but come on. You retire a number because the player meant everything to your team. He was a fixture in Boston for 19-1/2 years, therefore their allowed to retire his number. Guess the Avs were just looking for anything to try to create tradition and history.
5. Finally, I think it's unfortunate that a referee in the NHL should have the last name of McGeough. If you're not sure why, then you need to know that it is pronounced "Magoo."
With 3 games on the schedule, the NHL season opened up, providing the final pieces to complete my hockey obsession this year. I had already started up my own playing season a couple of weeks back, been watching a few preseason games (much better than post season baseball as far as I'm concerned) and had also been preparing for a fantasy hockey league draft at work.
Now the cycle is complete. Okay, a little overdramatic, but now the games are on, the fantasy hockey league is in full swing and I'm playing (and totally sucking) on a weekly basis. Of course, here are my top 5 hockey thoughts for the night:
1. Sergei Fedorov in a Mighty Duck uniform really didn't seem too weird to me.
2. Igor Larionov in a NJ Devil uniform did.
3. UM alumni have made their mark as usual-Marty Turco stoned the Ducks, Jeff Jilson got two goals for the Bruins. Mike Knuble and John Madden played their usual solid games for the Bruins and Devils, respectively.
4. I never understood why the Colorado Avalanche retired Ray Bourque's number. He played one and a half seasons with them over a 21 season career. Sure he won a Cup finally with the Avalanche but come on. You retire a number because the player meant everything to your team. He was a fixture in Boston for 19-1/2 years, therefore their allowed to retire his number. Guess the Avs were just looking for anything to try to create tradition and history.
5. Finally, I think it's unfortunate that a referee in the NHL should have the last name of McGeough. If you're not sure why, then you need to know that it is pronounced "Magoo."
Herkie the Dog's World Musings

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home