The Legacy of George Banks
It almost seemed unfair to have a new doctor stepping in to deliver the baby because of change of shift. I mean, we woke up "Dr. Devanow" when Lisa had begun labor. I would think he should have the first shot.
At the very least, he could have been another guy in the room besides me.
I had met almost all the doctors in the ob/gyn practice when Lisa was pregnant with Christie. But since then, there had been a new hire, and apparently now was the time that I was to meet her. I was a little surprised at how young she looked. She was probably about our age...no big deal...but there's always been something in the back of my mind that expects doctors, police officers and professional athletes to be older than me.
There's a scene in "Father of the Bride-Part 2." You know the movie. Or maybe you don't. After all, it was a sequel to a movie that was a remake, and I don't believe the original had a sequel. But I digress. In the movie, Steve Martin's wife and daughter both go into labor at the exact same moment. Of course, his son-in-law had been on a business trip to Japan or something when this happens, so the beleaguered Martin has to somehow manage to get both women to the hospital. Much mirth and hilarity ensues. The kind of thing that only happens in Hollywood.
Upon arriving at the hospital, Martin encounters the doctor who will be delivering both babies. She looks like she's about 23, causing the neurotic Martin to initially be taken aback by the fact that the person responsible for the safe delivery of his child and grandchild is probably not much older than his daughter. Quickly, however, because his character has matured over the four hours of the complete "Father of the Bride" saga, he realizes that this doesn't matter and that he can and must put his trust in the doctor.
Well, it wasn't quite like that for me, but I was surprised at our doctor's relative youth compared to the other doctors in the practice. Be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that I'm the only man in the LDR now. It would be very embarrassing to faint.
But actually, there was one part from the film that I could relate to. Martin's wife and daughter are sent to separate LDR rooms as he watches them go. Before the doctor heads off, he gets her attention for a brief moment.
"Doctor, " he says. "These women...are my life."
I understand completely.
At the very least, he could have been another guy in the room besides me.
I had met almost all the doctors in the ob/gyn practice when Lisa was pregnant with Christie. But since then, there had been a new hire, and apparently now was the time that I was to meet her. I was a little surprised at how young she looked. She was probably about our age...no big deal...but there's always been something in the back of my mind that expects doctors, police officers and professional athletes to be older than me.
There's a scene in "Father of the Bride-Part 2." You know the movie. Or maybe you don't. After all, it was a sequel to a movie that was a remake, and I don't believe the original had a sequel. But I digress. In the movie, Steve Martin's wife and daughter both go into labor at the exact same moment. Of course, his son-in-law had been on a business trip to Japan or something when this happens, so the beleaguered Martin has to somehow manage to get both women to the hospital. Much mirth and hilarity ensues. The kind of thing that only happens in Hollywood.
Upon arriving at the hospital, Martin encounters the doctor who will be delivering both babies. She looks like she's about 23, causing the neurotic Martin to initially be taken aback by the fact that the person responsible for the safe delivery of his child and grandchild is probably not much older than his daughter. Quickly, however, because his character has matured over the four hours of the complete "Father of the Bride" saga, he realizes that this doesn't matter and that he can and must put his trust in the doctor.
Well, it wasn't quite like that for me, but I was surprised at our doctor's relative youth compared to the other doctors in the practice. Be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that I'm the only man in the LDR now. It would be very embarrassing to faint.
But actually, there was one part from the film that I could relate to. Martin's wife and daughter are sent to separate LDR rooms as he watches them go. Before the doctor heads off, he gets her attention for a brief moment.
"Doctor, " he says. "These women...are my life."
I understand completely.
Herkie the Dog's World Musings

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home