Herkie the Dog's World Musings

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

If I Have This Ability, Then Why Can't I See Lottery Numbers?

Before you go any further, read this blog if you haven't already.

Done? OK good.

Most every weekday, my life brightens at about 4:30 PM, because that's when I leave work. Although I do say a quick prayer in the futile hopes of comforting those of my friends that are still diligently working on projects and can't go home yet, I quickly turn my thoughts to seeing my family and getting the hell out of Dodge. Today was strangely different though.

I had to park at the other end of the building, which meant walking through the heart of the workplace to get to my car. As I'm walking down the main way, I pass by Mark's office, still unfortunately containing Mark (see above paragraph for my fleeting reaction to this). Right about then, a horrible tune suddenly pops into my head-Ricky Martin's "She Bangs."

First, a disclaimer. This in no way is meant to infer a relationship between Mark and Ricky Martin.

Second, if you have read my earlier entry as I had suggested, then you know this in no way reflects my musical tastes. If anything, it suggests the myriad facets of popular culture that I attempt to expose myself to, and the unfortunate reality is that for every ten incredibly mind boggling talents I witness, I am bound to experience at least one dud. Regardless, I do seem to have a habit of suddenly thinking about the worst in popular music. In this case, it's not only the worst, but an obscure worst. How many of you even knew Ricky Martin had another song after "La Vida Loca (en mi cabeza porque no quiero escuchar esta cancion)?"

Making my way to my car, I desperately attempt to think of something...anything...to remove this curse from my brain. It's been a bad enough week already. This is truly cruel and unusual punishment. I start my car, turn on the radio, and to my relief I hear Styx's "Too Much Time On My Hands." Jamming to this, I pull out of the parking lot and make my way home. As the song ends, I undertake the familiar ritual of channel surfing through the local radio stations, trying to find the one station that's not only not playing commercials, but playing a good song. I press button 2 on the car radio.

The station on button 2 starts playing "She Bangs."

I am not kidding.

I have somehow actually foreseen that a radio station was going to play this song. It's not like the song I thought of was a new, currently popular song in heavy rotation. No, just the opposite. It was an obscure song that gets no airplay (thankfully), yet it popped in my head and then was broadcast on the airwaves.

Don't you get it? You're wasting coffee!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home