Herkie the Dog's World Musings

Thursday, September 04, 2003

The Magic of DVD

At some point in time, when I wasn’t looking, our DVD collection got huge.

I don’t really know when it happened. I can still hear the thoughts I had when we first got the DVD player. “We’ve got so much crap on VHS, when we start buying DVDs, it will only be things that we really want.”

Apparently, we want a lot.

Not only do we own lots of DVDs, but we have a pile of them that we haven’t even watched yet. And it’s not just recent purchases. We’re talking DVDs close to a year old that are still waiting to be seen. We got the “Back to the Future” set in November of 2002 and I just watched the first movie a couple weeks ago. Still no word on when I’ll watch II and III, but damn it, I have them! And I can watch them whenever I want…whenever that will be.

And yet we’re still adding to the collection! How crazy is that? Very, but this is proof that effective marketing works. For one thing, if you don’t buy a hot movie in the first week of release, you’ll miss out on the really good sales. Have you seen “Star Wars: Episode II” for $9.98 on DVD? Not since release day at Wal-Mart. Better snag it up and put it in the viewing line.

Of course, there’s also a new wrinkle in the whole DVD phenomena: The TV show season set. All 26 episodes of a season in one convenient package. Of course, that’s also either 13 or 26 hours of viewing pleasure…multiplied by the number of seasons the show lasted. That right there is the biggest reason I prayed for Fox to cancel “The X-Files” after David Duchovny left-not because the quality of the show was going to suffer but because I needed to catch up on my season sets! And I love “The Simpsons,” but if they keep making new seasons, we’ll have grandchildren by the time we’ve watched all of those DVDs.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some “Muppet Show” episodes I have to get back to...because I need to clear out the space for when I get the Indiana Jones set next month!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home